St James' Church
St James' Church is still the 'Ecclesia in viridi prato' - the 'Church in the green field' described in a Papal return in 1291 - and one of the original churches in the Carlisle Diocese. Much of the church is 18th Century, renovated in the 19th Century by Anthony Salvin in a deceptively simple Arts and Crafts style. It contains a fragment of a Norse Cross going back to the time of the Norman Conquest, as well as a number of memorials to the Fletchers and Vanes. Many of those who lived and worked at Hutton are buried here. It has services three times a month, but is closed when not in use.